Experienced Java Developer Rotterdam
Who we are
We are a challenging organisation with self-managed developers.
We don’t have account managers or project managers; thus the entire
team is responsible for successfully delivering projects to our clients.
In small teams, we work on projects for our clients, both onsite at
their location and from our own offices.
We develop custom-made software systems, primarily in system integration, big data projects and backend solutions.
For decades now, we have been building software using Java and the Java
ecosystem, more recently expanding to other JVM languages like Scala
and Kotlin. However, we are not fixed to one specific tech stack;
instead we are always aiming to offer the best solution to our
We are active in the Open Source community; we have conference speakers, published book authors, etc.
In this role you will have a number of different responsibilities:
- To take part into the design, documentation and architecture of the project
- To write code
- To make sure that the project is delivered on time
- To mentor (junior) team members depending on your experience
- To make sure that the team has the right dynamic
As a developer on a client project, you are typically the member of a team of other Lunatech developers and/or in-house client developers. The size of the team varies depending on the project, but is typically between 3-7 developers (usually including a Tech/Team Lead). In addition to the developers, the typical team also has one or more product-focussed members (Product Owner, Product Manager, etc.) that is embedded with the team or collaborates closely with the team.
We strongly value individual ownership and responsibility as we have an incredibly flat structure. This means that at the end of the day you and your team are responsible for a successful and quality delivery.
Most of our clients follow some form of Agile process, so as a developer you will typically help the more product- and business-focussed members with scoping and estimating units of work (usually “tickets”) that go into a project iteration (usually “sprints”). Then, during an iteration you will typically collaborate with the Team Lead and other team members to come up with solutions to address the requirements outlined in the tickets.
So a typical day might involve:
- attending a daily “standup” meeting to synchronise on progress
- interacting with a Product Owner to ask for clarifications
- discussing alternative approaches with other developers
- writing code (including tests) and submitting it for review (e.g. in the form of a Pull Request on a Git repo)
- merging your code into a “main” branch of development
- triggering a deploy to a staging or pre-prod environment, or a production environment, all depending on the QA and deployment practices of the client project
What we offer
Interesting and relax working environment with many opportunities to grow.
- Working in a team with highly skilled and friendly colleagues.
- Opportunities to attend interesting conferences
- Opportunities to participate in certified trainings
- Dedicated time for personal development
- Macbook Pro
- Competitive salary
- And more…….
Who you are
- You are a software engineer, with at least 5 years experience in Java or similar language.
- You are a thirsty learner, passionate and driven developer, eager to pick up new technologies and willing to grow personally and professionally.
- You are able to communicate clearly with our customers and colleagues.
- You are delivering the best to our customers.
- You will pick up responsibility of leading projects to successful completion.
- You have experience with shell scripting, CI/CD, Cloud platforms (AWS, Openstack, Azure, Google)....
Our recruitment process
We do not have an HR director, all applications are evaluated by your future fellow colleagues with Maaike, our chief coordinator helping everyone.1. We review your CV
Our technical team reviews your technical skills and see if you can move to the next step. If not, now is not the right time, we do not have a project that suit you or you do not have the technical level yet, and in this case we will keep in touch later :)
2. Getting to know each other
With a video call or at the office. The purpose is to understand why you applied, why we invited you, to introduce Lunatech and how we work. It is above all an opportunity to understand your background and projects, and to see if we'd be a match.
If not, now is not the right time, we do not have a project that suit you or you do not have the technical level yet, and in this case we will keep in touch later :)
3. Technical Assessment
We send you a small technical assessment to do, and we'll plan a review of your solution with you. You should be able to do the tasks within a few hours, which help us understand where you are at technically.
4. Technical Assessment Review
You meet one of our experts in the field that interests you, it is also an opportunity to help you do your self-assessment and know your level. During this review we understand how far advanced you are technically, and in terms of software architecture, how well you understand and master software tooling. You leave potentially having met your future technical manager and hopefully you learned a few tricks.
If we are not convinced by your technical explanation, now is not the right time, we do not have a project that suit you or you do not have the technical level yet, and in this case we will keep in touch later :)
5. Final interview
During this interview, we'll talk a bit more about you. In order to offer you a personalized course if you join Lunatech, you meet with a member one of our directors, as well as Lunatech HR person.
Finally, we'll discuss the employment conditions, and see if we can come to an agreement. We'll see more about you the person during this interview and your career wishes.
You'll leave with a vision of both the values we share but also the projects we propose.
6. And after?
Two possibilities are available to you:
The first: all the lights are green on both sides, in agreement with the technical department and the directors, we make you a proposal.
The second: now is not the right time, we keep in touch through our blog articles, our events and we will try again later!
To know more about Lunatech and our selection process check out our recruitment page .